Scratch Made Tartar Sauce
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 0 minutes Yield: 1 cup
- 1 egg yolk
- 1tsp prepared mustard (or a heavy pinch of dried mustard)
- 5ozneutral oil (canola, grapeseed, etc.)
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2oz Witt’s Dill Cucumbers
- Separate the yolk from the egg and add it to a large bowl with the mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Then whisk it until it lightens in color.
- Add a few drops of the olive oil as you continue whisking. Once those drops are thoroughly incorporated, add a few more drops, and continue to do so until you’ve added all the olive oil.
- Once the last of the olive oil is incorporated, begin adding the neutral oil. Begin with just a few drops at a time, and when you’ve added about half of it begin to add it in a slow steady drip. You’re making an emulsion and the key is to make sure that all of the oil is incorporated before adding more. Go slow at first, and be careful. As the emulsion forms and grows it can work in more oil at a time, but always err on the conservative side. You can roll a towel and wrap it into a bowl stand to make it more secure while you whisk, or you can find an energetic youngster to do the whisking while you hold the bowl and drip the oil.
- Set the completed mayonnaise aside (yup, you just made mayo!), and finely chop the cucumbers before adding them to the bowl and seasoning with salt and pepper.